First soak your beans
I’ve used dried cannellini beans here but the recipe is the same for dried kidney beans.
Soak beans in enough cold water to cover them by 5-6 centimetres for 6 hours. It’s so much easier to soak them overnight. Put them in a bowl, cover with water and walk away.
If you forget to soak the beans the night before, you can use the quick-soak method: Place beans in a large pot with enough water to cover by 8 centimetres or so, bring to the boil over high heat. Remove from heat and let stand for 2 hours.
It’s fine to freeze surplus cooked beans for later use in soups, salads and dips.
Slow Cooked Cannellini Beans
- Slow Cooker
- 2 cups cannellini beans, pre-soaked
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bayleaf
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
The night before
- Clean the beans. Pick out any debris such as stones and rinse the beans thoroughly
- Soak the beans overnight in water
- Drain the beans.
- Add the beans to the slow cooker, along with the olive oil, herbs, bay leaf, and garlic
- Add water. Make sure the water goes 2 inches above the beans.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.