Wonderful comfort food! An onion-flavoured root that turns into a great mash or bake. You cook celeriac as you would any of the popular root vegetables, roast them, mash them, simmer in a stew or blend them for soups. Here’s a celeriac from my garden
But let’s make a tasty celeriac dish. Simple and comforting.
Celeriac and Potato Gratin
- 1 celeriac
- 5 medium potatoes
- 50 g butter
- 1 and 1/2 cups cheese sauce
- Peel and slice the potatoes as thinly as you can. Put the sliced vegetables into a bowl of cold water to stop them from discolouring
- Rub some butter around the bottom and sides of the baking dish
- Layer the bottom of the dish with a mix of potato and celeriac slices. Pour some cheese sauce over
- Repeat the process with another layer of sliced vegetables and cheese sauce until the dish is full
- Put the dish in the middle of a preheated warm to medium high oven for about an hour. The gratin should be browned on top and cooked all the way through - test with a small knife
As for the sauce – How to Make Cheese Sauce
How to cut a celeriac.