Lentils were a midlife discovery for me, something like a midlife crisis. Yes, they’re an essential source of inexpensive protein with dietary fibre, folate, vitamin B1 and packed with iron. They’re also pretty tasteless.
Combined with sweet potatoes and a few flavourings you can get around this lack of taste. Give it a try on a chilly day.
Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 leeks, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (white and light green parts only)
- 3/4 cup dried yellow or red lentils
- 1 4-inch piece ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Juice of one lemon
- Lemon wedges for serving (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
Combine the sweet potato, carrots, celery, leeks, lentils, ginger and curry powder in your Slow Cooker
Add 6 cups water and stir, then cover and cook on low, undisturbed, 8 hours.
Add the lemon juice, coriander, and salt to taste. Serve with lemon wedges.