- Heat oven to 280F / 160C fan/gas 1.
- Wash the jars in hot, soapy water, then rinse well.
- Place the jars on a baking sheet and put them in the oven to dry completely.
- If using Kilner jars, boil the rubber seals, as dry heat damages them.
You can also sterilise in the microwave.
- Wash the jars thoroughly
- Pre-heat the oven to 280 degrees Fahrenheit or 160 degrees Celsius
- Fill jars halfway with cold water. Put them in the microwave on high for around three minutes or until the water boils
- Place jars upside-down in the oven.
Spoon your mixture into the hot jars and pack down well to remove any air bubbles. If you’ve made jam or chutney it’s important that mix is still hot when filling the jars.
Pour a teaspoon or two of vodka directly over the surface to create a seal, then add the lid. Don’t let the vodka left in the bottle go to waste, I’m sure you can find a few ways to give yourself a drop or three.
Label, and add pretty fabric tops and ribbons if you’re giving as gifts.