As a child I imagined there was a plant, a friendly, bushy sort of plant with little brown berries that were crushed to produce curry powder. I was wrong, of course. Like Chinese 5 Spice, you make your own.
Here’s a simple curry powder mix which will stay fresh for about 3 months. .
- 2 Tablsp ground coriander
- 2 Tablsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 Tablsp ground turmeric
- 2 teasp ground ginger
- 1 teasp dry mustard
- 1/2 teasp ground black pepper
- 1 teasp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teasp ground cardamom
- 1/2 teasp cayenne pepper or ground chilies
Add all the spices to a small jar and shake. Screw the lid on well.